Thursday, August 24, 2006

Class Introductions!

Steve asked to start a post in which we say a little bit about ourselves, along the lines of the email he sent out a few days ago. So here goes:

- Your name: Jake
- Your major: Composition
- Instruments played (including voice): percussion (mostly drumset), some guit, elec. bass
- Any composing experience? Yes
- Any improvising experience? Yes - I've played quite a bit of jazz and done a lot of free and structured improv too
- Any previous experience with computer music, or electronic performance? Yes - not much performance unless you count CD playback and a little diffusion; experienced with Lisp/Common Music
- What do you hope to gain from this class? I don't know much about Max, so I want to learn that, and work with the maxlisp object a bit

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex McHattie said...

Hi Jake-- I decided to take this route to post my bio. Hope you don't mind-- taking up Steve's invitation to do it this way. Here goes...

Name:Alex McHattie

major:double bass performance

intsruments played: bass(!), electric bass, flute, recorders (I really dug the bass one), a tracker organ (totally awesome experience!), cello, bass gamba (french style!) and I honked on a tenor saxophone for a little while (THAT's a cool instrument!)

comp experinence: a couple or so of my favorites: a sight/sound collaboration with a visual artist on a sight-specific piece for a newly built state-of-the-art planetarium, analog scores for no specific instruments, including my Three Pieces to be Sung, Played and/or Danced, music for a junk "gamelan," and two quartet pieces for student double basses...

improv experience: my absolute favorite still was playing flute in the empty parking garage at Krannert-- you gotta try it yourselves, it's a blast!!!

any previous experience: closest to this class is my sight/ sound collaboration for the planetarium project-- I had very "crude" tools and it took so much time, but I was very happy with the results. Ask me about it...

Hoping to gain from this class: this to me is like being a kid in a candy store. I know we got to put in some time in this, but I can't wait to get into it. For me though, I think of this is as an important "foot in the door." I hope to get my hands dirty in using these tools in a compositional process, and pick up again on interdisciplinary collaboration. My dream from this point is to do intstallation work where sonic and visual components of an art piece are equally strong and "contrapuntally" complimentary, especially to make sure one aspect is does not become a secondary afterthought to the other. I hope to eventually collaborate again with someone in visual arts who is like minded and excited about these kinds of conmcepts and projects, and would be interested in working towards the creation of sight/sound art with high integrety.

Thank you for this opportunity to share. -Alex

10:12 PM, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home