Monday, September 18, 2006

dials

I've been trying to improve the interface on my patch by replacing the number boxes with dials, but i'm running into a problem. For values that range from zero to one (e.i. modulation depth or delay feedback), a dial is not working because it seems to only deal with integers. i tried to change its setting in GET INFO by changing the range to 1 and the multiplier to 0.01, but it automatically set the range from my 1 to a 2 and my 0.01 to 0. why won't it let me do this, or is there another dial type object i could use?

4 Comments:

Blogger Packy Lundholm said...

I ran into a similar problem...what I did was put a multiplier between the dial and its recipient. That seemed to take care of it. Good luck!

10:29 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Keith Manlove said...

You have to divide that number to get floats.

It could look like

Dial (with 128 steps)
|
/ 127.

(it's imperative that you put a "." there. That makes it ouput floats. The "/" number has to be one less to make it 0. to 1.0 because midi counts "0" as a number)

This would equal 0. to 1.0 with 128 steps.

You could have any sort of variation (100 steps into "/ 100."

Max is all about converting numbers. You could even do it with zmap or scale.

Any confusion, ask again.

11:24 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Keith Manlove said...

Errrr, 101 steps into "/ 100."

11:26 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Steve Taylor said...

Thanks for posting on this - dials can indeed be tricky, and I'm always forgetting exactly which numbers to plug in to make it work correctly (I think Keith has it right above).

I'll try to cover some dials this morning in class.

6:19 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home